[Feedback] Amarok + 1.4

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sat May 5 14:34:58 UTC 2007

Andrew Ash wrote:
> Egor,
>
> I've actually seen this bug appear in some triaging work I do for Kubuntu's version of Amarok [1].  We didn't really figure much out but that it doesn't work like we
> thought it did.  Hopefully this one has an easy fix, since Samba shares are sort of a sore spot for Amarok.  There's a short description of the problem on the Amarok wiki
> [2], but its solution to create an /etc/fstab entry seems like working around the problem, not really fixing it.
>
> Andrew
>
>  [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amarok/+bug/91229

Regarding the Ubuntu bug:

1) The user recompiled Amarok from SVN source but not taglib.  TagLib
1.4 is quite old by now, and a huge number of bugfixes have been checked
into SVN since then.  The problem doesn't sound to me like it's an
Amarok issue, because we just pull in the tags TagLib gives us.  I'd
recommend recompiling TagLib from current SVN and seeing how that
affects things.
2) Is the user using CIFS or SMB?  In the past I had a lot of problems
with CIFS, although I hear it's much better now.  But trying it on both
would be good.

 [2] http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/Samba

I haven't seen that Wiki page before but AFAICT it rather unfairly
blames some upstream problem on us.  I've been through the collection
scanner code, and just looked again, and I don't see anywhere where it
looks at permissions of files.  The problem is either in TagLib or, just
as likely, in Samba itself -- we've seen bugs in the past where it
reports read-only files as writable and so on.

--Jeff