Podcasts

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Sat May 5 00:22:05 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Justin F. Knotzke <jknotzke at shampoo.ca> wrote:

>    1. Filename and Titles. All the players I looked at have this
>    problem. The title of the podcast is the filename. Yet, in a RSS feed, there
>    is a <title> tag buried in the <item> tag of the rss file. This is the
>    actual title of the podcast. Using the filename more often then not, does
>    not help me at all in determining what I am about to listen to.
>       1. A good way of showing this is to look at a screeshot: http://amarok.kde.org/d/en/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=1100&g2_imageViewsIndex=1
>
>       2. The idea of an "album" for instance doesn't really exist in
>       a podcast. That, and you can see that the "title" also isn't very
>       descriptive. Using the title in the rss file would be much more helpful.

For locally downloaded files, we use the ID3 tags. For remote files, the RSS
information is used. I dunno, I think it makes sense.

>    1.   Chapters. No player supports this. I've started to look at the
>    code and it's a bit complicated to support. But Podcasts, using iTunes,
>    supports the idea of chapters in podcasts. In a given Podcast, there are
>    sections (chapters) and often cover art is associated with each podcast.
>
>           So, is anyone working on this? If not, how can I help ?

I've never heard of this. Unless you mean m4a's ability to have sections?
This doesn't have anything to do with podcasts.  Also I don't understand
you, do other players support it or not?

To help us out, you could read:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/2.0_Development_HowTo and check out our active
development branch.
Not much work has been done on podcasts so far in 2.0.

Thanks for you suggestions. In the future, please don't use HTML email.

Ian