How to gain performance through MySQL

Andreas Baier don.ande at gmx.de
Mon Feb 26 12:24:39 UTC 2007

Hello,

> what is the exact mysql version ? have you changed that lately ?
> can you upgrade to the latest mysql ?
Unfortunately I'm not at home today, but as far as I know, it has to be the
latest release in portage: mysql-5.0.32.

> > A few weeks ago, I changed amarok from svn-version to the current stable
> > release (1.4.5 r1). I use gentoo-linux and amarok with mysql backend.
>
> even though i don't remember db changes after 1.4.5, downgrading is not
> supported....
I made the last snapshot from svn when the 6.newsletter was published. I don't
know when you split the the 1.4.5-release off from svn, but I guess it
happeened some days later.
> > Now, when I change ratings, skip songs, amarok AND mysql are using
> > 90-100% of cpu-time for more than 3 seconds and surface of amarok is
> > freezing for this time (the music is played normally, no stuttering of
> > sound or so).
> ...but we can still try to resolve the problem :)
> do you want to keep your statistics, ratings, playcounts etc ?
> if so, create a backup of the db and try with a fresh database.
> if you don't want to keep them and this helps, well, good :)
Of course, it would be great to keep the statistics and the labels.
The tables are regularly backed up (cron) so I'll try if a fresh db solves
this issue.

> if nothing helps, you can try logging mysql queries to see whether it is
> amarok overwhelming mysql, or is it mysql being weird.
if nothing helps =).

greetings Andreas