How to gain performance through MySQL

Rich rich at hq.vsaa.lv
Mon Feb 26 09:57:56 UTC 2007

Andreas Baier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First excuse my bad english, I'll try to give my best.
>
> A few weeks ago, I changed amarok from svn-version to the current stable
> release (1.4.5 r1). I use gentoo-linux and amarok with mysql backend.

even though i don't remember db changes after 1.4.5, downgrading is not
supported....

> Now, when I change ratings, skip songs, amarok AND mysql are using 90-100% of
> cpu-time for more than 3 seconds and surface of amarok is freezing for this
> time (the music is played normally, no stuttering of sound or so).

...but we can still try to resolve the problem :)
do you want to keep your statistics, ratings, playcounts etc ?
if so, create a backup of the db and try with a fresh database.
if you don't want to keep them and this helps, well, good :)

what is the exact mysql version ? have you changed that lately ?
can you upgrade to the latest mysql ?

if nothing helps, you can try logging mysql queries to see whether it is
amarok overwhelming mysql, or is it mysql being weird.
  Rich