Media device - failed to copy tracks

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Dec 10 20:06:46 UTC 2007

Cody Christensen wrote:
> Hello I'm having a weird problem I just bought a sandisk sansa c240 and went
> at putting music on it.
> I made a device in amarok and tried to transfer playlists but was getting some
> errors that I don't think I should be getting. It keeps saying that copying
> the track failed. BTW I am running amarok 1.4.7 on Ubuntu Gutsy. I have a
> playlist with my favorite tracks & I have playlists with every song by most
> of my favorite artists. Obviously there will be some overlap. I was trying
> to "sync to media device" because my understanding and somewhere I read says
> that syncing will only copy the file that are not already there but it does
> not seem to work like that. If I synced my favs list the tried the artists
> most (if not all I coulden't tell because it is very laggy when bringing up
> many messages)would fail. I also noticed it I tried to sync my favs and then
> an artist say Billy Joel when I went to the Billy Joel folder everything
> would be deleted :S. but after I tried once to sync and It failed (and
> therefore deleted everything it tried to sync) I could sync again and it
> would work.
>
> I was also trying to load it's 2GB expansion card with a smart playlist with
> all songs with a playcount and score higher then 20 limited to 500 songs.
> Some of these might have had non-friendly filenames but isn't "use vfat safe
> filenames" and or "ASCII" options suppose to change them or will it just
> reject them? It would also seem to copy about half of the songs in the 500
> song list and fail the rest but I can't believe 250 songs of mine in that
> particular list would have bad names. Some of the messages I could see would
> show that somewhere in the path there were 2 / / s but I searched my
> collection for songs that had a / in the name or artist and not many came up.
> I think I remember seeing some that failed because of that although I didn't
> see them in the list of songs that actually had a / in it.
>
> one more question is there any way to have it transfer the .m3u file to the
> device? I searched and couldn't find an answer to that ether. The original
> firmware doesnot support .m3u's in case you were were wondering but I quickly
> rockboxed this thing after receiving it. or would I have to make a script to
> do that. (I guess I could put that in post disconnect command) I would rather
> amarok did it though. If this is not possible can this be a feature request
> for 2.0?
>
> Thanks I hope you can understand my longwinded email :) if not just ask and I
> can clarify. Oh and don't bother CC this to me I watch the list.

I don't really understand your email at all.  I'm assuming you're using
the generic media device plugin although you never say.  You should try
this with the latest 1.4 code in SVN, and see how that works for you.
And if it doesn't, you should post a step-by-step list with plenty of
information detailing how to reproduce your problem.

--Jeff