Media device - failed to copy tracks

Cody Christensen codychristensen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 04:05:21 UTC 2007

Hello I'm having a weird problem I just bought a sandisk sansa c240 and went
at putting music on it.
I made a device in amarok and tried to transfer playlists but was getting some
errors that I don't think I should be getting. It keeps saying that copying
the track failed. BTW I am running amarok 1.4.7 on Ubuntu Gutsy. I have a
playlist with my favorite tracks & I have playlists with every song by most
of my favorite artists. Obviously there will be some overlap. I was trying
to "sync to media device" because my understanding and somewhere I read says
that syncing will only copy the file that are not already there but it does
not seem to work like that. If I synced my favs list the tried the artists
most (if not all I coulden't tell because it is very laggy when bringing up
many messages)would fail. I also noticed it I tried to sync my favs and then
an artist say Billy Joel when I went to the Billy Joel folder everything
would be deleted :S. but after I tried once to sync and It failed (and
therefore deleted everything it tried to sync) I could sync again and it
would work.

I was also trying to load it's 2GB expansion card with a smart playlist with
all songs with a playcount and score higher then 20 limited to 500 songs.
Some of these might have had non-friendly filenames but isn't "use vfat safe
filenames" and or "ASCII" options suppose to change them or will it just
reject them? It would also seem to copy about half of the songs in the 500
song list and fail the rest but I can't believe 250 songs of mine in that
particular list would have bad names. Some of the messages I could see would
show that somewhere in the path there were 2 / / s but I searched my
collection for songs that had a / in the name or artist and not many came up.
I think I remember seeing some that failed because of that although I didn't
see them in the list of songs that actually had a / in it.

one more question is there any way to have it transfer the .m3u file to the
device? I searched and couldn't find an answer to that ether. The original
firmware doesnot support .m3u's in case you were were wondering but I quickly
rockboxed this thing after receiving it. or would I have to make a script to
do that. (I guess I could put that in post disconnect command) I would rather
amarok did it though. If this is not possible can this be a feature request
for 2.0?

Thanks I hope you can understand my longwinded email :) if not just ask and I
can clarify. Oh and don't bother CC this to me I watch the list.