Is there any way to make the OSD really transparent (e.g. with composite extension)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Sep 2 11:55:05 UTC 2006

Mats Ahlgren wrote:
> I know what you're talking about; it's somewhat annoying that you get graphical artifacts when you scroll with a translucent OSD display.
>
> This also occurs with other apps like Katapult, and with semitransparent menus in KDE -- it seems to be a KDE shortcoming.
> There is also the problem that even if you got the soon-to-be-deprecated kompmgr to work with it, the text would be just as transparent as the window, making it hard to read if you set the transparency below 70% of so.
>
> However, there's hope! -- http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2172
> There are plans to give KWin compositing and OpenGL support to make KWin as clean as OS X.
> Thus, I think it would be best to wait and make sure that they address this issue.

Sounds interesting. Annoyingly enough tho' I don't use KWin!! Despite
being a gnomey person for the majority of the Desktop (with a good few
KDEy apps thrown in). Aside from that, I'm using Compiz and CGWD at the
moment which isn't really gnome specific (I know a lot of people who run
it instead of KWin in KDE).

Anyway, I think it would be nice if the you could define %ages for
foreground and background opacity in the OSD setup. If I get bored I may
try and do that!

Col.