Is there any way to make the OSD really transparent (e.g. with composite extension)

Mats Ahlgren mats_a at MIT.EDU
Sat Sep 2 03:41:33 UTC 2006

I know what you're talking about; it's somewhat annoying that you get graphical artifacts when you scroll with a translucent OSD display.

This also occurs with other apps like Katapult, and with semitransparent menus in KDE -- it seems to be a KDE shortcoming.
There is also the problem that even if you got the soon-to-be-deprecated kompmgr to work with it, the text would be just as transparent as the window, making it hard to read if you set the transparency below 70% of so.

However, there's hope! -- http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2172
There are plans to give KWin compositing and OpenGL support to make KWin as clean as OS X.
Thus, I think it would be best to wait and make sure that they address this issue.

--Mats