Beginner's problems getting amarok to work

Roger Fern fern.rw at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 2 19:54:23 UTC 2006

------------ PLEA FOR HELP...

 Hello

 I've only just started to use Linux at home in deadly earnest (new
pc, new start,  etc.).  Things have not gone too  badly, but I've run
into 1 or 2 problems which I can't work my way  round, and I wondered
if anyone could shine any light?  I'm sure  they're novice's
problems.  It's a bit like buying a new car.  You  get a nice manual
with it, but it doesn't tell you anywhere in it  that you've got to
put petrol in – people are expected to “just know”  that.  My
problems are probably in that category...

 The pc has 2 hard discs, and 2 optical drives.

 Software: pre-installed dual-boot Windows XP and SuSE 10.1 (KDE
3.5.1)  (All  the hardware works according to spec under XP, so it's
all been  plugged together straight.)  SuSE comes on 1 DVD and 6 CDs.

 When I try to run amaroK to play a music CD, the option “Play Audio
CD” is greyed out, as though amaroK doesn't recognise that there's a
CD there.  Konqueror happily  recognises the CD's  existence, and
gives you a list of the files on  it.  What am I doing wrong, please?
I'm at a loss, and am asking anyone who might be able to help.  So,
has anyone on this list got any ideas about what the problem is, or
where to look for a solution, please?  Am I getting a path wrong, or
something...?

Any help or suggestions of where to look gratefully received.  If
anyone wants to reply, and if you think it's of general interest, you
could reply to the list, but otherwise please reply to me personally,
 at fern.rw at googlemail.com.

 Thanks for reading this.

 Roger Fern

 Novice.

 ------------   END OF PLEA FOR HELP

Roger Fern, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Written using KMail under SuSE Linux 10.1