Some ideas for Amarok 2.0 based on foobar2k experience

Alf Lervag alf at lervag.net
Wed Nov 15 12:04:21 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, Cerneels Bart <bart.cerneels at gmail.com> wrote:
> But I don't feel we need a configurable GUI.

Having a good GUI is probably one of the reasons why Amarok is so
popular.  I've tried foobar2k, and honestly I didn't like it at all
since the GUI was ugly and clunky.  Little did I know that if I
installed lots of plugins and whatnots it could look nice.

The idea of making it possible to add and remove elements from the
default GUI should not be dropped completely however.  To make this
possible, much care must be taken with the design of the core
application and how it interacts with the GUI.  A well thought through
interface design is seldom a bad idea.  For one, it makes it much
easier to write tests.

So even though the decision to actually support
adding/removing/replacing the default GUI elements might be "no", I
don't see why the decision to go for a design that make this
potentially possible might be "yes".

--
Alf