Some ideas for Amarok 2.0 based on foobar2k experience

Cerneels Bart bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 08:52:34 UTC 2006

2006/11/15, Michael Pujos <pujos.michael at laposte.net>:

> >> This is a valid design decision while a bit disappointing but I can see
> why
> >> you'd want to retain a fixed, controllable UI. It's disappointing
> because
> >> it's a bit conservative and some advanced users might want a different
> >> customized UI to their needs or preferences. However on a development
> point
> >> of view it's probably simplier.
> >>

> > The reasoning begind our decision has much less to do with developmental
> > complexity and much more about user experience. We want amarok to be
> easy,
> > fun, and powerful to use. We don't cater to the 1% of users who each
> want a
> > certain thing to work their own exact way. We care about making a
> functional
> > powerful media player that 99% of users can love and enjoy from the very
> > first second---not after hours of downloading plugins and scouring
> forums.
> >
> > leo
> >
> I still think you can do both: present a sensible default UI without
> having to go after plugins, while being highly componentized.

I see it like this: have a good, light, hard coded GUI but use plugins to
provide the content, like context, wiki, shop, lyrics; and other plugins to
provide playlists: smart, dynamic, podcasts, ... And yet others to sync
with/copy to mediadevices, browse remote collections and so one.
Plugins should be kept as independent from the gui code as possible and
separately distributable, preferably in a scrpting language. This will mean
less code to maintain/debug for us yet more and easier to implement
functionality.

But I don't feel we need a configurable GUI.

Stecchino