icecast2, two Soundcards

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Sat Nov 4 21:55:48 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 November 2006 3:44 pm, Denny Schierz wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have two soundcards installed:
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [SoundByLayout  ]: AppleOnbdAudio - SoundByLayout
>                       SoundByLayout
>  1 [default        ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
>                       C-Media USB Headphone Set   at
> usb-0001:10:1b.2-2.3, full speed
>

> My primary soundcard is the USB device for my normal speakers. I want to
> use the internal soundcard for amarok and icecast2. I'm not sure, what
> to to next.
>
> My goal is, that i can play the mp3/ogg files via Amarok, ices0 grabs
> the music from the internal card (with the alsa-module) and i can hear
> the sound with my usb soundcard (with a second instance from amarok or
> xmms etc.) .
>
> Does anybody has a similar setup?

Why on God's green earth would you want to do this.  Sorry, that's too snarky,
but I just can't think of a practical reason unless your just trying to test
a setup for eventual streaming to another computer.  icecast re-samples
everything, so you can only get degradation of the audio quality and you end
up using a lot more processing power.

In my experience with icecast, you can only capture the pcm stream if it
configured as an input.  My onboard CMI8738 shows pcm as an input, where on
my other two cards, TB Santa Cruz and a Chaintech AV-710, pcm is an output.
My understanding is that ices can only grab an input.
--
Greg