Review of Magnatune Store

Greg Meyer greg at gkmweb.com
Sat Nov 4 18:38:54 UTC 2006

After using the Magnatune store and talking to a few people in irc, I thought
it might make some sense to summarize the observations I have made, as well
as their comments and suggestions, for further discussion.  I don't want to
enter these all in bugzilla if others don't think them worthwile, so comments
are welcome.

(1) If a download is stopped for some reason, there is no way to restart it
within Amarok.  Perhaps Amarok crashed or you needed to stop for some other
reason. To continue the download, you have to go to the link provided in the
confirmation e-mail with a web browser.  It would be nice to just resume from
within Amarok.

(2) Someone in the channel also reported that Amarok crashed when the stop
button was pressed next to the status meter.  I could not reproduce this and
he was a Gentoo user with pretty aggressive optimizations, which may be the
problem, but if this can be reproduced by anybody else, I'll file a bug.

(3) Amarok doesn't know about albums I have already purchased.  It would be
nice if Amarok kept track of albums that I have purchased, that the buy
button could become a re-download button, or maybe just offer to re-download
if I attempt to buy it again.

(4) If show info is disabled in the Magnatune collection browser, this does
not stick when Amarok is re-started.

(5) I think we need to be able to access and display the artist information
available from the Magnatune website while previewing.  This obviously is
synonymous with the artist tab in the context browser where data is retrieved
from wikipedia when local music is played.  It would be nice, but I'm not
sure how feasible, for artist info in the context browser to come from
Magnatune instead of wikipedia if the local track was purchased from
Magnatune, since many of the Magnatune artists don't have wikipedia pages.
Maybe the better solution is for magnatune to just make sure each artist in
the stable gets a wikipedia page.

(6) It is my opinion that more information about how the transaction will be
completed, i.e secure connection, you will receive an e-mail with
instructions, etc. before the program asks for credit card information.
Also, to make the transaction more secure, Magnatune should consider
requiring the 3 digit security code on the back of most cards (I am pretty
certain all Mastercard and VISA have this now).  In addition to making the
transaction more secure from a customer service point of view, I believe the
banks offer lower processing rates when this code is used because there are
fewer fraudulent transactions, and therefore less cost for them.  This might
make it less scary for people buying for the first time.

(7) Album art cannot be easily retrieved.  I purchased the album Egg by a band
called Zilla.  To try and re-create the crash described in (2), I aborted the
download within Amarok.  To finish downloading the album, I used the link
provided in the confirmation e-mail and downloaded the flac zip file.  There
was no album art included in the zip file.  So I don't know if that downloads
automatically if the download is completed within Amarok.  If it does, great,
but obviously the Amazon lookup does not work for these artists and if I want
to have album art show in the context browser for purchased tracks, I must go
to the magnatune site and download it manually.

Anyway, I know some of these are nit-picky, and if you made it this far I
salute you, but I think they would contribute some overall polish.
--
Greg