Reading Annodex Clips

Jason Kivlighn jkivlighn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 00:22:17 UTC 2006

Hi,

Has there been any thought of reading and displaying clips from
annodexed media?  For those not familiar, Annodex files are .ogg files
that include within the ogg container a CMML description of clips in the
file.  Clip info include items such as title, description, start/end
times, image link, etc.  Annodexed file are particularly useful for
seeking in long audio files.

So I've been messing around with the idea to load this clip data and at
one point got it working.  I updated MetaBundle to include a list of
ClipInfo objects and displayed it as subitems of the PlayListItem.
Clicking the clip subitem would seek to the position specified by the
clip and clip info was displayed in a tooltip.

The attached patch is rough, especially in reading the clip info from
the file, but I didn't want to put too much time into this if you guys
aren't interested.  It's also from SVN awhile back, but it gives an idea
of the additions it required.  The patch uses gstreamer-0.10 with the
annodex plugin to read the data.  If there's interest in adding this
functionality to Amarok I'll definitely put in the effort to clean this
up and getting it working right.

I've been trying to maintain my patch, but SVN moves so fast it has
started to get frustrating :-P  I was hoping that at least an
infrastructure to store clips as a part of a file's metadata could be
added to Amarok.  The idea of adding clips to a file's metadata is
generic enough that the same infrastructure for storing the clips could
be used not just for annodexed media but anything with clips.

Thoughts?  Interested?

Cheers,
Jason Kivlighn