: Last.fm integration

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jun 23 15:09:43 UTC 2006

Joel Wiramu Pauling wrote:
> On Friday 23 June 2006 18:57, Bart Cerneels wrote:
>>
>> How feasible do you think something like that is? And how much code have
>> you written? Cause I want to try getting statistics from rockbox, not just
>> for audioscrobbler but for the statistics in the Amarok db. Could be a
>> feature of a rockbox specific mediadevice plugin.
>>

> Very feasible,
>
> There are a number of threads and pages on collection harvesting from rockbox.
>
> I have done very little, and nothing since the media device change over in
> amarok.
>
> But if nothing re submission system for last.fm has changed... then it's just
> a matter of appending some lines of xml to the amarok file that sits
> in .kde/share/amarok and contains the unsubmitted last.fm tracks on mount
> (might want to do some sanity testing as well making this a bit more
> complicated...)
>
> Rockbox side, harvesting LOTS of stats would probably not be nice, plus I have
> a feeling that some of the platforms rockbox runs on don't have good clocks,
> which is the only major problem.
>
> But just writting artist/track tags out and a playtime to a file would not be
> a huge issue.
>
> You would have to consider battery drain etc if you are doing lots of writes
> to the disc. It might be better to keep the history in memory and write it to
> disc on poweroff/mode change, rather than writting/updating a file each track
> change.
>
> These were my inital observations. In terms of code, I have done squat. As I
> said I don't have a test platform and the emulator is a pain to setup on
> amd64 for rockbox.

This all sounds very interesting. I think the clock thing can hopefully
be worked around (perhaps some form of clock offset correction system
when you plug your device in - remembering when the clock was last sync
and using a fairly simple averaging algorithm to update the recorded
times of played songs?).

I would be very keen on this overall, and would especially like to see
integrated support for the tag databases format for rockbox in Amarok.

I don't think the battery drain of writing the stats would be too great
and it is probably easy enough to keep a limited number in memory and
only write it to disk when it is spinning already.

I've nto really got time to help on this just now but perhaps towards
the middle/end of summer I'll be able to help out.

Col.