: Last.fm integration

Joel Wiramu Pauling aenertia at aenertia.net
Fri Jun 23 07:11:29 UTC 2006

On Friday 23 June 2006 18:57, Bart Cerneels wrote:

> How feasible do you think something like that is? And how much code have
> you written? Cause I want to try getting statistics from rockbox, not just
> for audioscrobbler but for the statistics in the Amarok db. Could be a
> feature of a rockbox specific mediadevice plugin.

Very feasible,

There are a number of threads and pages on collection harvesting from rockbox.

I have done very little, and nothing since the media device change over in
amarok.

But if nothing re submission system for last.fm has changed... then it's just
a matter of appending some lines of xml to the amarok file that sits
in .kde/share/amarok and contains the unsubmitted last.fm tracks on mount
(might want to do some sanity testing as well making this a bit more
complicated...)

Rockbox side, harvesting LOTS of stats would probably not be nice, plus I have
a feeling that some of the platforms rockbox runs on don't have good clocks,
which is the only major problem.

But just writting artist/track tags out and a playtime to a file would not be
a huge issue.

You would have to consider battery drain etc if you are doing lots of writes
to the disc. It might be better to keep the history in memory and write it to
disc on poweroff/mode change, rather than writting/updating a file each track
change.

These were my inital observations. In terms of code, I have done squat. As I
said I don't have a test platform and the emulator is a pain to setup on
amd64 for rockbox.

Kind regards

JoelW