Custom Context Browser Sections Patch

Bradley Pesicka teknomunk at bluebottle.com
Tue Jun 20 03:47:20 UTC 2006

As stated in #amarok, I have been working on adding custom context
browser sections to Amarok.

The attached tarball contains the patch file, and several scripts I
wrote while working on this.

To install, patch the svn source (revision 553177) from the multimedia
directory
move amarok.rb to ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/
move all other directories to ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/scripts

This patch makes the following changes:

- Disables the internal context browser sections for the tracks.
- Adds the following dcop commands to contextbrowser:
    void addCustomSection(QString name)
    void removeCustomSection(QString name)
    void setCustomSection(QString section,QString contents)
    void setCustomSectionTitle(QString section,QString title)
    void setCustomSectionContext(QString section,QString context)
- Renders the sections up to 3 per row, in non-collapsable boxes. The
bottom of the each of the sections in a row all line up.
- Adds new categories to the script manager:
    Context Browser
    |-Tracks
    |-Streams
    |-Podcasts

Known issues:
- Covers will not be shown for anything - I never got around to
modifying how the covers are stored in the cache or triggering the
creation of smaller versions of the cover  from a script.  The song info
section also does not have an update link because of this, and because I
didn't get around to that either.
- It is likely there are still some problems with stability, mostly race
conditions.  If you have a fix for one of these, please send me a patch.
- Lack of scripts. I have created 7 scripts for use with this, plus the
library file.  I would really like more scripts to be created.
- Some sections, expecially the last.fm wiki, can take up large amounts
of a row.  If there is a good way to set the maximum size that an
element can be, please let me know. I tried to use max-width in one
place, but that does not seem to be working.
- Seperating the sections on the same row is done rather haphazardly at
the moment.  It works, but it does not look very good.
- Some of the scripts use a caching mechanism to speed up content
generation. That cache never expires.
- I don't know if the scoring/rating works or not. I have the dynamic
collection patch that may affect it and don't feel like removing it.

Eventually I would like to see all the content in the context browser
(home, podcast, streams, etc.) generated in scripts.  I find that
scripts are very flexible and are a large part of what makes Amarok
wonderful.

I would appreciate any questions, comments, suggestions, bug fixes, etc.
that you have.