Custom Context Browser Sections Patch

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 18:39:17 UTC 2006

teknomunk,

I posted about my work on a Magnatune integration prototype.

While I agree that a scriptable music store/site interface would be really
nice, there are a few reasons I will not work directly towards this. At
least not for the time being.

Firstly, it is my experience that trying to build a generic framework from
scratch is a very hard thin to do. I belive it works much better to
implement one scenario, use the best parts of that code for the nex one and
then over a few itterations pick out the code that is actually good enough
to form the basis of a framework. Besides, much of the back end work needed
for this feature should readilly lend itself to a more generic aproach later
on.

Secondly, (and this is most likely just a sign of my ignorance) I don't know
any oter music stores that offers as comprehensive preview features as
Magnatune. They have gone out of their way to make their entire catalog
available through an xml file on their site. This makes it very easy to
actually get the data needed for a good integrated experience based on
previewing their music.

Finally, I need to keep it simple, at least at this stage. I am still trying
to get fammiliar with the amaroK code, and if I expand the project too much
too soon, I will drown in work and loose interest :-)

Just a few thoughts!

Nikolaj
aka
Freespirit