: New Layout

Jan Callewaert jan.callewaert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 21:23:39 UTC 2006

Op maandag 19 juni 2006 20:43, schreef Matze:
> This is an enquiry e-mail via http://amarok.kde.org from:
> Matze <matze at kaffeemonster.com>
>
> Hi Dev Team,

Disclaimer: I'm not a dev

> the new Layout introduces in 1.4.1 is a large step backwards for usability.
> Reasons:
> When I need my Collection to arrange titles I don't need Lyrics, Info 'bout
> the Artist et. al. Once my Playlist is up and running I do like to have the
> Playlist open to see upcoming songs and the Lyrics pane to read a bit
> along. With the new "design" it's just a mess; either I see a rather tiny
> part of the Playlist and get no Info on Artist, etc. or I merely see the
> info Pages but a larger Playlist.
>
> OPTIMAL imho would be a three pane Layout just as in Outlook 2003 and
> newer. Suggestion: ________
>
> | x  | y | z |
>
> -------------
>
> x would show Collection, Playlists or Files
> y for the Info Page with Lyrics and WikiPart
> z showing the running playlist.

That would be the previous layout with an extra pane. One thing that disturbed
me personally was that the playlist didn't have enough width to display all
the information I want to see about the songs. That's what they are trying to
deal with IMHO. With your design, you would take even more space away for the
playlist, which is worse than the old design. I agree the current design
still needs (a lot of) improvement, but I hope that the extra space for the
playlist is kept.

Jan