100% CPU usage with SVN trunk

Dan Meltzer hydrogen at notyetimplemented.com
Sun Jun 18 14:21:05 UTC 2006

On Sunday 18 June 2006 12:30 am, David R. Litwin wrote:
> On 17/06/06, Dan Meltzer <hydrogen at notyetimplemented.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 June 2006 6:15 am, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> >
> > Possibly related to inotify? I know that it currently can spike to 100%
> > if one
> > edits files, not sure if this user did it, but it seems possible.
>
> Greetings. I am the user whos problem this is.
>
> I certainly wo't rule out inotify. However, in the backtrace, there
> was no mention of inotify. What seems to trigger the QObject: #
> timers now exist message is amarok: [ThreadWeaver] Threads in pool:
> 3 . This preceeds the QObject mayhem. But, let's try to completely
> chuck or confirm the inotify: What files are you refering to that
> I may have edited? The sound files? If so, do you mean the tags, or
> the music itself.? Perhaps you mean another type of file.
> I'll be happy to tell you all that I can to get this situation rectified.

I recieved it editing the tags, which would in turn edit the files.  My random
guess at what is happening is that when the tag is edited, the file is
rewritten.  As the file is rewritten, an inotify collectionscan process is
triggered every N milliseconds, or however often inotify triggers.

Maybe we should see how beagle handles it?