converting media type does not work well with all media devices

Mikael Lammentausta Mikael.Lammentausta at student.savonia-amk.fi
Sun Jun 4 09:37:34 UTC 2006

I recently got an mp3 player which unfortunately doesn't support ogg/flac. Most of my music collection is in this format so the transKode script is really useful. There are two options under the media device section/convert upon transfer: a) when possible b) when required. (I've got a localized amaroK so the english terms may be a bit different).

The problem is that when I use the a) setting, all files, even mp3s, are re-encoded. This makes sense, though. I may want to re-encode the mp3 to lower bitrate to fit more music on the device. But then, the b) setting does not convert ogg/flacs at all! They're just copied to the device, as the device (Cretive MuVo200) works as a block device.

So I suggest to add an option for the device, that file of type x,y,z are converted upon transfer. If these files then are transferred, the transKode script is called. Is this possible? I think this is an amaroK feature, not an issue with the script.

However, this is: the transKode script v.0.5 does not display any status bar, although there is an option for that. Any transKode devs around here - is it in my settings or a known bug?

Mikael