ATF safety

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Aug 21 10:49:33 UTC 2006

Col--

> I had a look round the amarok website and realisied that beta1 was
> rolled out on 2006-07-30. This is a week after the bug was introduced
> according to the bug report.

Actually, we're not sure when the bug was introduced; it's probably been there
from the beginning.  The real problem was that until the visibility in 1.4.2
beta1, there was probably a real lack of testers.  I tagged about 4000 songs
at home and another 2000 at work without any trouble.  A couple other devs
tagged their collections without any corruption issues.  And of the few
people that tried it before beta1 and told me about it, none reported any
corruption issues whatsoever.  For the record, I've still never seen any
myself.

If you look at the bug report you'll see several people saying "oh yeah, this
happened to me too."  It would have been nice for someone to get in contact
with me (I was having issues receiving b.k.o emails at the time) but I wasn't
told about these issues until about a week and a half ago  :-(

Anyways, 1.4.2 will be out very soon.  ATF will be disabled in it pending one
more fix and then some testing.  When you start 1.4.2 final it will force ATF
off if you had it on from beta1.

--Jeff