ATF safety

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Aug 21 12:47:00 UTC 2006

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Actually, we're not sure when the bug was introduced; it's probably been there
> from the beginning.  The real problem was that until the visibility in 1.4.2
> beta1, there was probably a real lack of testers.  I tagged about 4000 songs
> at home and another 2000 at work without any trouble.  A couple other devs
> tagged their collections without any corruption issues.  And of the few
> people that tried it before beta1 and told me about it, none reported any
> corruption issues whatsoever.  For the record, I've still never seen any
> myself.

Cool. From what I've read it is quite a sneaky thread based problem that
are often very hard to spot and to be affected by, so I guess it's not
surprising that it works fine for most people.

> Anyways, 1.4.2 will be out very soon.  ATF will be disabled in it pending one
> more fix and then some testing.  When you start 1.4.2 final it will force ATF
> off if you had it on from beta1.

Cool. Does that mean it will be unavailable in 1.4.2 or just disabled by
default? More out of curiosity rather than any overwhelming desire to
protect people from the problem ;) I know about and I wont turn it on
until people say it's OK (and I just so happened to backup my music onto
an old HD this morning so I guess I could do a full scan/tag happily
anwyay ;))

Actually, when I'm hear and while it's not too off topic, say I have an
MP3 player (my phone) and I want to re-encode some Oggs and high bitrate
MP3s to lower quality for it and setup Amarok to do this automatically
(not looked at this yet but I remember there was some scripts to do this
in the past), will it preserve the ATF ID (and indeed, should it preserv
the ATF ID)? Also will it prefer my higher quality originals to the
lower quality versions? Not really thought this question through
really... just some thoughts from the top of my head.

Col.