Difficulties with the handbook organization

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Tue Dec 21 13:00:39 CET 2010

Hi Valorie,

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:22, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks so much, Myriam. More below.....
>
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Myriam Schweingruber
>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:00, Valorie Zimmerman
>> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I now understand what i did wrong -- don't know what I was thinking!
> Thanks for straightening it out.
>
>>> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AmarokWindow/PlaylistPane (this
>>> page exists - might need fixing; student page)
>>
>> Wasn't this the page made by another student already? Seems very
>> complete to me. Except for the layout and image sizes that are not
>> respecting the form we used in the QSG. Since these are manual
>> entries, we need to be consistent so it doesn't cause problems when
>> exported to docbook.
>
> Yes, this was a student page, and as such might need more work. I like
> the larger images when possible; the thumbnails are so small they lack
> punch, and aren't very helpful either. So if possible I'd like to use
> larger images when they will fit. Huge ones have to be thumbnailed, of
> course.

There currently are more huge images around than allowed. Please stick
to the image sizes we agreed upon for the QSG. Remember, we both
agreed upon and it fits in the docbook size. So definitely, image
sizes above 600x600 need to be thumbnailed, and since there are users
on netbooks we really should _not_ use larger images.

> Yes, I think we're almost ready to start the navigation linking.
> However, before we do that, I'd like everyone to take at least a
> cursory glance through, and note any big problems you see. I've fixed
> -- at least partly -- a couple of the huge pages we had for the AFT
> and Moodbar. They can use more work, I think. But I'm tired. :-)
>
> There are a couple of places where the same material is covered. We
> need to decide which place is the most useful and helpful to have it,
> and cherrypick the best presentation, and make the other link to it.
> Our translators shouldn't be asked to translate the same stuff twice!
> On the other hand, I don't want our readers/users hopping all over the
> place to find what they need.
>
> Once we've decided that our pages are in the order we want them, and
> contain the material we want, I can set a small task to write and test
> all the navigation. And we can get to work polishing and refining, and
> making sure that spelling, grammar, clarity, wiki markup is
> impeccable.
>
> Then we're done!

The most important right now is to set the construction tag, else it
is totally misleading and impossible to know if a page is corrected or
not. This should be give as a basic rule to all contributors, else we
wade through an incredible amount of pages nobody knows which are
ready and which are not.

> I hope all of you who are celebrating the season have a wonderful
> time. I hope to get a lot of work done after Xmas and before New
> Years.

Same to you. I don't really celebrate anything besides New Year, but
we will have a lot of family to visit and that takes some time as
well.

> By the way, the Insider is shaping up too, again thanks to our
> wonderful students. Give a look every once in awhile, and give us a
> hand.

I will try to. Right now I could need your input for the next "Last
week article" for the GCI tasks.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org