Difficulties with the handbook organization

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 13:14:06 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Myriam Schweingruber
<schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch> wrote:
> Hi Valorie,
>
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:22, Valorie Zimmerman
> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks so much, Myriam. More below.....
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Myriam Schweingruber
>>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:00, Valorie Zimmerman
>>> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Wasn't this the page made by another student already? Seems very
>>> complete to me. Except for the layout and image sizes that are not
>>> respecting the form we used in the QSG. Since these are manual
>>> entries, we need to be consistent so it doesn't cause problems when
>>> exported to docbook.
>>
>> Yes, this was a student page, and as such might need more work. I like
>> the larger images when possible; the thumbnails are so small they lack
>> punch, and aren't very helpful either. So if possible I'd like to use
>> larger images when they will fit. Huge ones have to be thumbnailed, of
>> course.
>
> There currently are more huge images around than allowed. Please stick
> to the image sizes we agreed upon for the QSG. Remember, we both
> agreed upon and it fits in the docbook size. So definitely, image
> sizes above 600x600 need to be thumbnailed, and since there are users
> on netbooks we really should _not_ use larger images.

OK, I'll put that on my list of things to check as I wade through the pages.

>> Yes, I think we're almost ready to start the navigation linking.
>> However, before we do that, I'd like everyone to take at least a
>> cursory glance through, and note any big problems you see. I've fixed
>> -- at least partly -- a couple of the huge pages we had for the AFT
>> and Moodbar. They can use more work, I think. But I'm tired. :-)
>>
>> There are a couple of places where the same material is covered. We
>> need to decide which place is the most useful and helpful to have it,
>> and cherrypick the best presentation, and make the other link to it.
>> Our translators shouldn't be asked to translate the same stuff twice!
>> On the other hand, I don't want our readers/users hopping all over the
>> place to find what they need.
>>
>> Once we've decided that our pages are in the order we want them, and
>> contain the material we want, I can set a small task to write and test
>> all the navigation. And we can get to work polishing and refining, and
>> making sure that spelling, grammar, clarity, wiki markup is
>> impeccable.
>>
>> Then we're done!
>
> The most important right now is to set the construction tag, else it
> is totally misleading and impossible to know if a page is corrected or
> not. This should be give as a basic rule to all contributors, else we
> wade through an incredible amount of pages nobody knows which are
> ready and which are not.

Good idea, and I have to admit I've been inconsistent with that. I'll
set them for all pages tomorrow, with a TODO right below if I have one
-- except the ones I think are perfect.

>> I hope all of you who are celebrating the season have a wonderful
>> time. I hope to get a lot of work done after Xmas and before New
>> Years.
>
> Same to you. I don't really celebrate anything besides New Year, but
> we will have a lot of family to visit and that takes some time as
> well.
>
>> By the way, the Insider is shaping up too, again thanks to our
>> wonderful students. Give a look every once in awhile, and give us a
>> hand.
>
> I will try to. Right now I could need your input for the next "Last
> week article" for the GCI tasks.
>

> Regards, Myriam.

Okey-doke. One quick not to all -- I started on the Troubleshooting
page, since I seemed to be able to think of stuff tonight. I didn't
format at all, or even finish some of the thoughts, but it's a start.
Please glance at it and add more ideas or whatever you like to improve
that page.

I think a bit of the FAQ might move there? And save the FAQ for things
besides problems and troubleshooting. I gave the FAQ page some love
too, but it's a bit big.

Valorie