Difficulties with the handbook organization

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 12:22:38 CET 2010

Thanks so much, Myriam. More below.....

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Myriam Schweingruber
<schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch> wrote:
> Hi Valorie,
>
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:00, Valorie Zimmerman
> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Either I'm too tired, or just fundamentally do not understand how to
>> organize the Handbook pages logically. I made a mockup "main" page
>> here:
>>
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AmarokWindow
>>
>> to try to give y'all and the students an idea of what I'm going for.
>> However, rather than linking to the Toolbar, MediaSources, ContextPane
>> and PlaylistPane pages, it links to its own headings. Instead, I want
>> links to
>
> Done, you need to actually add links to the pages, not put content in
> the AmarokWindow page. A link that is also working as a direct link
> has this form:
>
> [[/Page/name|The page title]]
>
> the paths are relative to the parent pages, so no need to give a full
> link. This makes the Toolbar menu link look like this in the
> AmarokWindow page:
>
> [[/Toolbar|The Toolbar]]
>
> Of course, you also have to fix the main menu entries that carry these
> links in http://useerbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual, else this will not
> link correctly. I have done that now.
>
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AmarokWindow/MediaSources (this
>> page needs to be written up as a GCI task)
>
> Done.
>
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AmarokWindow/ContextPane (this
>> page needs to be written up as a GCI task)
>
> Done.

I now understand what i did wrong -- don't know what I was thinking!
Thanks for straightening it out.

>> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AmarokWindow/PlaylistPane (this
>> page exists - might need fixing; student page)
>
> Wasn't this the page made by another student already? Seems very
> complete to me. Except for the layout and image sizes that are not
> respecting the form we used in the QSG. Since these are manual
> entries, we need to be consistent so it doesn't cause problems when
> exported to docbook.

Yes, this was a student page, and as such might need more work. I like
the larger images when possible; the thumbnails are so small they lack
punch, and aren't very helpful either. So if possible I'd like to use
larger images when they will fit. Huge ones have to be thumbnailed, of
course.

> What needs to be fixed is the footers of the pages, so people can
> navigate from one page to the other. Currently, most pages have either
> no footers or wrong ones. That could be another GCI task, even if it
> is a very boring and time consuming one :) Ideally, the students
> should locate their page in the menu and add the footer themselves.
> Another thing that should be added to each page are the categories:
> Most only have the Amarok category, but the three entries below are
> needed.
>
> [[Category:Amarok]]
> [[Category:Multimedia]]
> [[Category:Tutorials]]
>
> And finally: all student pages should have a {{Construction}} tag
> until the pages are complete and ready to be translated.
>

> Regards, Myriam.

Yes, I think we're almost ready to start the navigation linking.
However, before we do that, I'd like everyone to take at least a
cursory glance through, and note any big problems you see. I've fixed
-- at least partly -- a couple of the huge pages we had for the AFT
and Moodbar. They can use more work, I think. But I'm tired. :-)

There are a couple of places where the same material is covered. We
need to decide which place is the most useful and helpful to have it,
and cherrypick the best presentation, and make the other link to it.
Our translators shouldn't be asked to translate the same stuff twice!
On the other hand, I don't want our readers/users hopping all over the
place to find what they need.

Once we've decided that our pages are in the order we want them, and
contain the material we want, I can set a small task to write and test
all the navigation. And we can get to work polishing and refining, and
making sure that spelling, grammar, clarity, wiki markup is
impeccable.

Then we're done!

I hope all of you who are celebrating the season have a wonderful
time. I hope to get a lot of work done after Xmas and before New
Years.

By the way, the Insider is shaping up too, again thanks to our
wonderful students. Give a look every once in awhile, and give us a
hand.

Valorie