Difficulties with the handbook organization

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Sun Dec 19 16:52:26 CET 2010

Hi Valorie,

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:00, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Either I'm too tired, or just fundamentally do not understand how to
> organize the Handbook pages logically. I made a mockup "main" page
> here:
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AmarokWindow
>
> to try to give y'all and the students an idea of what I'm going for.
> However, rather than linking to the Toolbar, MediaSources, ContextPane
> and PlaylistPane pages, it links to its own headings. Instead, I want
> links to

Done, you need to actually add links to the pages, not put content in
the AmarokWindow page. A link that is also working as a direct link
has this form:

[[/Page/name|The page title]]

the paths are relative to the parent pages, so no need to give a full
link. This makes the Toolbar menu link look like this in the
AmarokWindow page:

[[/Toolbar|The Toolbar]]

Of course, you also have to fix the main menu entries that carry these
links in http://useerbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual, else this will not
link correctly. I have done that now.

> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AmarokWindow/MediaSources (this
> page needs to be written up as a GCI task)

Done.

> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AmarokWindow/ContextPane (this
> page needs to be written up as a GCI task)

Done.

> http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/AmarokWindow/PlaylistPane (this
> page exists - might need fixing; student page)

Wasn't this the page made by another student already? Seems very
complete to me. Except for the layout and image sizes that are not
respecting the form we used in the QSG. Since these are manual
entries, we need to be consistent so it doesn't cause problems when
exported to docbook.

What needs to be fixed is the footers of the pages, so people can
navigate from one page to the other. Currently, most pages have either
no footers or wrong ones. That could be another GCI task, even if it
is a very boring and time consuming one :) Ideally, the students
should locate their page in the menu and add the footer themselves.
Another thing that should be added to each page are the categories:
Most only have the Amarok category, but the three entries below are
needed.

[[Category:Amarok]]
[[Category:Multimedia]]
[[Category:Tutorials]]

And finally: all student pages should have a {{Construction}} tag
until the pages are complete and ready to be translated.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org