Amarok 2.0 beta 3 announcement

Sven Krohlas sven at asbest-online.de
Mon Oct 27 19:24:02 CET 2008

Heya,

>> /me gets the feeling that "being open", the values of the free software
>> community, aren't that important anymore these days?
>
> I do not think that is fair, nor do I think it is accurate. I think my
> record on supporting openness should speak for itself, but when it
> comes to a release announcement, I think it makes sense that we write
> it in private. Reasons for this:

I'm sorry, I did not want to question anybodys contributions to the
free software comunity.

What I want to say is that working on free software for me also means
using free software whereever possible. And I personally think it is
possible in this area.

<lfranchi> its that when it comes down to it practicality and pragmatics
           usually beat idealism
* sven423 is more the idealistic guy
<sven423> I can work with the wiki
<lfranchi> yea i noticed that ;)

Currently on my laptop I have two large proprietary software packages.
One is Skype. I really /hate/ starting that evil beast up. I really loved
the times we were using mumble... The other one is the Flashplayer.
They have one thing in common: I'm really looking forward to the day I
can replace them (for Flash I hope this will happen quite soon).

I'm a very idealistic guy.
I'm a very freedom-loving guy.
And honestly I hate the idea to have to work with nonfree software to
contribute to a free project.

I also see that some people understand my point, though they wouldn't
act like me.
So, I really tend to suggest a deal: if there aren't enough people to
get something written put it on the wiki and I'll be on it. If there
are enough contributors to get it going: please don't force me to use
that proprietary app. It goes against my very deepest beliefs.

(Although this may sound very emotional I still think the logical
reasons not to use Google Docs for the project are good enough.)

The other point is: what information should we keep confidential?
ChangeLogs? I don't think so, they are already in svn. And the text
that is done around them is usually based upon that already known
ChangeLog. Until now no news site has picked up half done announcements.
Ever.
And I can't imagine this to happen to serious news sites.

Currently I can only think of press contact infos. Those should be kept
away from the public. But that's all, isn't it?

cu
--
Darkerradio Free Music Charts:
http://www.darkerradio.com/news/free-music-charts-oktober-2008/