Amarok 2.0 beta 3 announcement

Lydia Pintscher lydia.pintscher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 19:10:03 CET 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Sven Krohlas <sven at asbest-online.de> wrote:
> Heya,
>
>>> We had that when Nightrose was away. Sebr wrote an announcement for
>>> the dot, markey did so, too. Both were submitted. This can only happen
>>> when we are not open enough.
>>
>> No! This can only happen when people don't listen and comunicate. I
>> prepared everything and told people where to find it. This was clearly
>> a communication issue between Mark and Seb. Not a problem of where the
>> stuff was at all.
>
> I disagree.
> Of course it also was a communication error. But if two people work on
> two Google Docs they each work in their own seperated world. One doesn't
> get any info from the other. In contrast to a Wiki. Here you see the changes
> from others and that would have helped in this case to detect the communi-
> cation error. Even if you work on seperate documents.

This would not have helped at all. You can only do so much to make
people aware of it. And in case of release announcements it is an
email to this list which everyone who is going to work on them is
supposed to read anyway.

> We are humans. We make communications errors. And Google Doc as a platform
> supports that in our workflow.

>>> The Wiki has an recent changes RSS feed. So everyone who might want
>>> to contribute can see when we start something. And everyone sees what
>>> work has already been done, what changes have been made.
>> An email to this list does the same.
>
> Honestly, the diffs are much more informative. And a RSS feed is more open
> than a list you have to subscribe to.

As stated above everyone who writes the release notes is supposed to
be subscribed here anyway. If not something is severely broken. Also
see Nikolaj's excellent arguments.

> /me gets the feeling that "being open", the values of the free software
> community, aren't that important anymore these days?

Being open is important. But there is a point where I am being
pragmatic. This is one of them. Remember the first days of KDE?

/me hands out cookies

--
Lydia Pintscher
Amarok community manager