Feature documentarion - was: Re: Todo questions

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 17:44:04 CET 2007

> How is the process of decision, between the devs, of what features will, or
> will not, being included into a release? There is certain level of
> formality? I mean, they decide that into a wiki, forum, or something? How
> they organize the work load? How they analyze suggestion of new features,
> for example, and decide if that will, or not, be included in next release?

explaining the decision making process within Amarok is a bit hard,
and has actually been the subject of several talks at different
conferences. I would _really: recommend hanging out with us on #amarok
and #rokymotion on irc.freenode.net to get a feel for the culture.

I essence we are a meritocracy, meaning that those who do the actual
work has a very great say in the direction of the project. As most
people contribute to Amarok in their own free time, it is very
important to empower everyone to make difference. That said, for big
decisions, we generally try to come to some kind of consensus. Also,
one of the things that keeps everything moving quite smoothly, is that
most developers share a common vision for Amarok, even though each has
different parts of Amarok that has their special attention.

I know this culture is quite a radical departure from that practiced
at most companies, but to put it simply, contributing to Amarok has to
be fun to keep people motivated! :-)

- Nikolaj