Understanding why it matters where amarok is run from

Bernd Wechner bwechner at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 05:08:44 UTC 2016

OK I have Amarok building and debugging in QtCreator. Big plus. Still in
need of a mentor and will lurk on irc and approach listed developers one
by one as I can if I have to, but here is today's question.

The way I've configured it QtCreator by builds amarok to
$HOME/kde/build/amarok/src then copies the amarok binary to $HOME/kde/bin.

Cool.

If I run the amarok binary in $HOME/kde/build/amarok/src it throws an error:

    /The amarok database reported the following errors: /
    /The configured database plugin could not be loaded. /
    /In most cases you will need to resolve these errors before Amarok
    will run properly.
    /

and the *Test Connection* button on the *Configure Database dialog* is
disabled.

If I run the amarok binary in $HOME/kde/bin (identical binary) it works
fine.

Now I have set it up to use an external MySQL database clearly.

Something is awry and I have a gut feel that it's along these lines. The
amarok binary finds that I have an external database configured
somewhere (todo, figure out how it knows that) but then tries to load a
plugin which it can't find in one case but can in the other - i.e. may
have a relative path?

I'll throw fish to any performing seal, um developer paying attention,
who helps me out here ;-).

Regards,

Bernd.