Help wanted to evolve KDEs music players

Boudhayan Gupta me at baloneygeek.com
Fri Jul 31 14:02:05 UTC 2015

On 31 July 2015 at 06:53, Michael Pyne <mpyne at kde.org> wrote:
> It's basically still a KDE 3 app that got only partially ported to KDE 4...
>
> IMHO some kind of rewrite using taglib and Phonon and a very simple GUI would
> be the best way to go for KDE 5. Martin Sandsmark was working on a better port
> but it's a surprisingly annoying task due to bitrot.

Would there be objections if JuK was ported straight to KF5, losing
functionality if necessary (as in, screw the features, we want a clean
KF5-based implementation first), upon which we can re-add the features
that are most demanded later?

People did complain that during the transition from KDE3 to Plasma 4,
a lot of functionality was lost, but eventually it all came back, and
today we have a much cleaner codebase while Plasma itself a lot more
moddable, for lack of a better term.

Another thing is, do we really want to port to Phonon 5, or can we
port to QtMultimedia? I'm not sure of the pros/cons of either, so I'm
just asking.

-- Boudhayan Gupta