Help wanted to evolve KDEs music players

Jacky Alcine yo at jacky.wtf
Fri Jul 31 19:19:09 UTC 2015

On Friday, July 31, 2015 07:32:05 PM Boudhayan Gupta wrote:
> On 31 July 2015 at 06:53, Michael Pyne <mpyne at kde.org> wrote:
> > It's basically still a KDE 3 app that got only partially ported to KDE
> > 4...
> >
> > IMHO some kind of rewrite using taglib and Phonon and a very simple GUI
> > would be the best way to go for KDE 5. Martin Sandsmark was working on a
> > better port but it's a surprisingly annoying task due to bitrot.
>
> Would there be objections if JuK was ported straight to KF5, losing
> functionality if necessary (as in, screw the features, we want a clean
> KF5-based implementation first), upon which we can re-add the features
> that are most demanded later?

Personally, I have no problem with a stripped down player that we can then
build up more cleanly (nothing feels better than deleting code!). But this
would be a good chance to see what features should be slated to be added so
people know what to expect as well what things were roadblocks in other media
players in KDE.

> People did complain that during the transition from KDE3 to Plasma 4,
> a lot of functionality was lost, but eventually it all came back, and
> today we have a much cleaner codebase while Plasma itself a lot more
> moddable, for lack of a better term.

Push-back is inevitable, tbh but it doesn't linger as long as legacy code, no?

> Another thing is, do we really want to port to Phonon 5, or can we
> port to QtMultimedia? I'm not sure of the pros/cons of either, so I'm
> just asking.

Er, so would using QtMultimedia allow for less dependencies to be pulled in
when used outside of KDE? I figure that this is something people might like
(but not necessarily the target for something to be PART of the KDE suite).