Help wanted to evolve KDEs music players

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Fri Jul 31 01:23:17 UTC 2015

On Thu, July 30, 2015 15:06:46 Stefan Derkits wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2015-07-30 14:08, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Why a new one? Aren´t none of the existing ones in a state that they can´t
> > be evolved into what you envision?
> >
> > There is already Amarok, JuK, Bangarang, Clementine, Plasma Media Center
> > and you name it. As a user I am confused. Which do I use? Well for me I
> > started with Amarok and I really do like it a lot, just want to see it
> > modernized instead of looking at all the others to find out which new one
> > to use.
> At the moment the only thing we have is a design vision. Of course this
> vision replaces most of the things that JuK and Bangarang does. Also
> Andrew Lake is the Creator of Bangarang and he is the one who started
> the UI mockups & vision development, so you can see it as a replacement
> of Bangarang (probably with a new name). JuK has a simillar feature set
> than what is planned, but I don't know in what shape the codebase is.

It's basically still a KDE 3 app that got only partially ported to KDE 4...

IMHO some kind of rewrite using taglib and Phonon and a very simple GUI would
be the best way to go for KDE 5. Martin Sandsmark was working on a better port
but it's a surprisingly annoying task due to bitrot.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne