Release time!

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sun Feb 1 11:19:57 UTC 2015

Hi Alexander,

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Alexander Potashev <aspotashev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> since I was unable today to reproduce the release blocker bug I closed it.
>> This means we are now read to release Amarok 2.9.0!
>>
>> I will check this weekend on what might be missing and explore on how to
>> build the tarball.
>>
>> If there are no objections from your side, we will release Amarok on Sunday!
>>
>> Please speak up if you see any reason to delay the release any further, and
>> please help checking that the ChangeLog is complete, as it is the main basis
>> to write the release article.
>>
>> Any help welcome, but I guess I should be able to do most of the things :)
>
> Hi Myriam,
>
> I'm sure many people would be much happier if Amarok had a clear
> schedule published well in advance of releases. See for example the
> release schedules for KDE Applications or Digikam [1,2]. I'm afraid
> KDE localization teams have poor knowledge of what's going on in the
> Amarok because they are not notified when message freezes start. This
> was a good practice in the pre-2.8 days.
>
> Also I would expect some Beta versions before finally releasing a
> 2.9.0. See what Calligra guys are doing: they will have at least three
> beta releases [3]. They however have a greater responsibility for the
> money they raised for Krita 2.9 at Kickstarter.
>
> [1] https://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Applications/14.12_Release_Schedule
> [2] https://www.digikam.org/about/releaseplan
> [3] https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Schedules/2.9/Release_Plan

Well, we are in Beta situations since like over a year, nearly
everything is thoroughly tested be all the people who use the git
branch. We did announce a release over a year ago and were held back
by a release blocker, and by the tight real life schedule of everybody
involved.

We do have a release schedule, it's just impossible to stick to it
with everybody being busy with real life, and this needs to be pushed
out of the door since over a year.

I scheduled this for today because I have time today, if we delay
again it will take quite some time again before I or anybody else of
the team find time to do all the release related stuff again. Ready to
wait another few months? Right now I am nearly alone to do this and to
have time for it, we don't have a large team with people working daily
on the project like Digikam or Calligra has, and we are not part of
the KDE release schedule, never were.

So yes, many people might be more happier about, but I don't have the
time to suit those many people. Feel free to give a hand in that if
you want it done otherwise, I certainly could need it.

Regards,
Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org