Release time!

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 07:54:33 UTC 2015

> Hi all,
>
> since I was unable today to reproduce the release blocker bug I closed it.
> This means we are now read to release Amarok 2.9.0!
>
> I will check this weekend on what might be missing and explore on how to
> build the tarball.
>
> If there are no objections from your side, we will release Amarok on Sunday!
>
> Please speak up if you see any reason to delay the release any further, and
> please help checking that the ChangeLog is complete, as it is the main basis
> to write the release article.
>
> Any help welcome, but I guess I should be able to do most of the things :)

Hi Myriam,

I'm sure many people would be much happier if Amarok had a clear
schedule published well in advance of releases. See for example the
release schedules for KDE Applications or Digikam [1,2]. I'm afraid
KDE localization teams have poor knowledge of what's going on in the
Amarok because they are not notified when message freezes start. This
was a good practice in the pre-2.8 days.

Also I would expect some Beta versions before finally releasing a
2.9.0. See what Calligra guys are doing: they will have at least three
beta releases [3]. They however have a greater responsibility for the
money they raised for Krita 2.9 at Kickstarter.

[1] https://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Applications/14.12_Release_Schedule
[2] https://www.digikam.org/about/releaseplan
[3] https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Schedules/2.9/Release_Plan

--