Interested to participate in GSoC'14 [Amarok]

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Jan 13 11:08:24 UTC 2014

Hi Avik Pal,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Avik Pal <avikpal.me at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Avik, a bachelor CS student from Bengal Engineering & Science
> University,Shibpur.
>
> I have been going through the Amarok source code for some time now(also the
> project wiki) and have already built it.
>
> A little about myself(you may wanna skip this)
> I have about 4 years of programming experience(C/C++).I successfully
> participated in Season of KDE'13 and contributed to the KDE edu project
> Pairs. My team qualified for the ACM-ICPC 2012 Regionals(only team selected
> from my university in that region). I have also contributed to Mozilla and
> Open motion planning.
>
> I'm hoping to participate in GSoC since while I'm an avid open-source
> enthusiast, I haven't had any chance in contributing to something this big
> before and it's about time to fix that.You can find some of my toy projects
> at https://github.com/avikpal
>
> Amarok is a large project with several components, the fact that the GSoC
> student ideas to get released is still some time away makes it a bit
> difficult for me to go through the codes regarding that component within the
> small time frame(I would like to have a good look at the code before I
> prepare my proposal etc.). Can you please mention what may be the
> component(s) that I should take a look at to have a good chance at this
> year's GSoC.
>
> I will be accessible by email and through IRC (nick avikp at freenode).

Nice to see you are interested in contributing to KDE and Amarok.
Please read carefully all the documentation listed here:

http://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/Join

and of course, since you want to contribute to Amarok development, the
first step should be to subscribe to the amarok-devel at kde.org mailing
list :)
Once all this is done, I suggest you have a look at the list of bugs here:

http://tinyurl.com/AmarokOpenBugs

Please do not start to write any code without first talking to us
about what you are planning to work on and how you plan to solve the
issue, on this mailing list.

All patches need to go to http://reviewboard.kde.org and you will need
an identity account from http://identity.kde.org, but if you have
contributed to a KDE project already you should be familiar with these
steps :)

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org