Regarding GSOC project

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Mon Apr 22 11:50:11 UTC 2013

Hi Abhay,

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Abhay Sombanshi
<abhaysombanshi92 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mam,
>
> 1)
> I have read your blog on the above specified link
> http://blogs.fsfe.org/myriam/2013/04/15/so-you-want-to-be-a-summer-of-code-student/
>
> I was not able to see " Point 8 " and so not able to figure out answer of my
> query.

Then please read my mail again, I didn't specify that link at all, I
said, and I quote: "See point 8 in my blog instructions on how to
build Amarok. There is a note..."

The blog post on how to build Amarok is certainly not the one you link to.

Really, you need to be able to read things and understand them, else
this is going nowhere...

> 2)
> I have tried to read the source code pertaining to my project and read
> related classes but it is so vast, that I don't know how much to read. I am
> able to understand the working of functions but not able to understand how
> the classes are interacting with each other.
>
> Mam, I am really stuck here, please guide me out as the proposal submission
> date is coming nearby and I have much to do and figure out.
>
> 3)
> I want to know the procedure for synchronization of Iphone with Amarok as I
> was not able to figure it out on " Google ".
>
> If it's some video or practical procedure, it will be great help as depends.

See, all this information is out there, specifically there are like
dozens of links to all this from
http://community.kde.org/Amarok/Development/Join and it's parent
pages. Potential GSoC students need to be bright enough to read all
this and know their basic C++/Qt coding. You are also supposed to read
the HACKING guide documents that are in the source cod and work on a
JuniorJob, all that has been told repeatedly to students all over the
place, the amarok-devel at kde.org mailing list archive is full of links
and hints.

What we can't do for you is work on the proposal and understand basic
code relations. If you can't do that on your own (mind you, we are
willing to help you with precise questions that are on very specific
code classes, we just can't give you a tutorial on understanding all
260.000 lines of code Amarok is composed of) then you might rethink
your application to GSoC. GSoC is not meant for beginner coders but
for people who have at least some basic skills and are able to work in
an online community and think by themselves. What we can't and refuse
to do is spoon-feeding you things that you should be able to find on
your own. We all work as volunteers and, unlike the GSoC students, we
will not get paid for the mentoring work, so don't mistake us for
instructors in a coding class.We all have a Real Life and Work besides
Amarok and simply can't spend all out free time on student
applications, that is a totally wrong assumption on your behalf.

So stop panicking, use your brains :)

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org