TODO for 2.7: android MTP

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 06:57:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Philipp Schmidt <philschmidt at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Montag, 10. September 2012, 17:06:57 schrieb Matěj Laitl:
>> On 10. 9. 2012 Bart Cerneels wrote:
>> > Having recently bought a Galaxy 3 I can confirm, we need have very
>> > good MTP support i.e. rewrite MtpCollection.
>> >
>> > For anyone taking it on (/me looks in the general direction of
>> > strohel) I might have a device you can use.
>>
>> Yeah, I've thought about it. MTP collection rewrite should be a rather
>> straightforward adaptation of the iPod collection.
>
> I would volunteer, since I am already a little familiar with libmtp due to my
> (currently stagnant work, kudos to my master thesis) on the kio-mtp slave.
> Since I will be travelling after completing said thesis I would only be able
> to start around Christmas.
>
> One Problem that I see is that many Android Devices as of now do not support
> the tracks API (or at least not properly). So one would have to work around
> that, as that should be the preferred way to access misuci files on a MTP
> device.
>
> Cheers,
> Philipp

I would prefer if we got it in 2.7, which would ideally be released
around Christmas. I wonder if between the 3 of us there is enough
spare time and motivational energy to get it done soon. Matěj: how
about we spend a day on this in Randa? I indeed have an old-ish
android lying around, but I'm not sure this one does MTP like the 4.0
devices that are currently sold. I'll check later.