TODO for 2.7: android MTP

Philipp Schmidt philschmidt at gmx.net
Tue Sep 11 07:18:21 UTC 2012

Am Dienstag, 11. September 2012, 08:57:49 schrieb Bart Cerneels:
> I would prefer if we got it in 2.7, which would ideally be released
> around Christmas. I wonder if between the 3 of us there is enough
> spare time and motivational energy to get it done soon.

I'll have to see. If we start soon-ish I can help ;).

> Matěj: how about we spend a day on this in Randa? I indeed have an old-ish
> android lying around, but I'm not sure this one does MTP like the 4.0
> devices that are currently sold. I'll check later.

I just checked with my Galaxy Nexus and the provided mtp-tracks: Tracks are
listed but the duration is not extracted (although filesize is), all tracks
have length 0 milliseconds. Don't know if that is an issue. When I start
working on the kio slave next week again I will do some testing as well.

If I recall one conversation with one of the google mtp-devs on the libmtp ML
correctly they are trying to improve things, but given the speed with which
the hardware vendors are upgrading their devices we'll probably have to assume
that a lot of people will be using 4.0 and not 4.1 in the next year or so.
Also: One never knows if the vendors haven't upgraded (or worsegraded, rough
translation of the german "verschlimmbessert" :D) their MTP support...

Ideally devices would report if they don't support some features, and libmtp
tries to set some flags as well, but we would still need a very good error
handling or alternate access methods.

Feel free to ping me during the european evening (UTC+2) on IRC, nick
"hefeweiz3n". Then I can tell you what I have done on the kio slave so far and
how that might reflect on some things for the amarok implementation.