Amarok idea need feedback

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 21:00:03 UTC 2012

Hi Igor, (Teo,)

Sorry for the late response - I am not an Amarok developer, so I
usually do not read messages from this mailing list.

The idea of full intergration of vk.com into Amarok sounds
interesting. The following are some existing applications, scripts and
libraries that implement intergration of vk.com into KDE and Amarok
you might not know about:

1. There is an Amarok script for searching and downloading music from vk.com:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/VK_search?content=121702

This script does not implement listing your friends nor music albums
at vk.com though. Also, this script does not ask the user to
authenticate - I do not even know what API it uses to get anonymous
access to all publicly available music at vk.com.

2. I have written a minimal Akonadi Resource to communicate with Vkontakte:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/pim/akonadi-vkontakte
(this is irrelevant to Amarok though)

3. I have written a KIPI Plugin for exporting photos to Vkontakte:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/kipi-plugins/repository/revisions/master/show/vkontakte
(this is irrelevant to Amarok too)

4. What might be actually interesting for you is that I have written a
library for communication with Vkontakte in KDE:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/libs/libkvkontakte

It is very minimalistic and only implements those vk.com API methods
that are used by the above two projects (`akonadi-vkontakte` and
`kipi-plugins/vkontakte`). Listing your friends is implemented, but
listing of audio albums is not.

About mentorship: In my opinion, I cannot mentor this project because
I am not an Amarok developer. Amarok developers can try to convince me
I am wrong though. ;)

--
Alexander Potashev