[amarok] src/services/amazon: Detect Amazon country automatically.

Edward Toroshchin edward.hades at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 17:07:14 UTC 2012

Well, first, I would like to point out, that I'm not opposed to the
idea, that applications should not send anything anywhere without user's
consent. Just in case anyone got a wrong impression.

Then,

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 05:45:51PM +0200, Sven Krohlas wrote:
> a lot changed. It's a serious regression and for me a hard release blocker.
>
> As stated before that dialog could be clearer. But it clearly states,
> that the store does not work if user does not live in a supported country.
> Selecting the "none (store won't work)" therefore is the clear choice to
> select if a user does not want to use the service.

Let me put it in simpler words.

Okay, let's imagine every user that sees the dialog box for the first time.
She is asked to choose his country. There is an option "none (store won't
work)". She chooses option that she feels best about.

Now, let's ask each of the imaginary users a question: "Did you just
give consent to sending your data _immediately_ to Amazon?". Three

What would be the most common answer?

Before answering that, bear in mind, that:

 * the dialog says nothing about sending data (don't tell me that the
antonym for "store won't work" is "we'll send your data immediately"),
 * the dialog says nothing about that the store will retrieve the data
(and hence send the user data to Amazon) _immediately_,
 * the option "none" isn't even default.

I claim, that the third answer will be chosen with near 100% frequency.

> I've had an interview about the store and they were deeply interested in
> data protection issues. I assured that no data is being sent without
> user consent. And I keep my word.
>
> http://ikhaya.ubuntuusers.de/2012/06/22/interview-mit-den-entwicklern-der-amazon-api-fuer-amarok/

Well, like it or not, but you lied. You said that the first time
anything is send to Amazon is when the user chooses a product. That's
obviously false.

> Don't take it personally, but if you don't revert I'm going to.

Don't take it personally, but I believe you need at least someone else
to back you up on this to revert anything. Currently, no one except us
has expressed their point of view :).

However, I don't want to look like a useless unproductive asshole. At
the very least I don't have time for it. So here's my deal: I'll
personally make sure that everything in Amarok explicitly asks the user
for her permission to send any information outside.

Fair?

Of course, nothings gets reverted in the meantime.

--
Edward "Hades" Toroshchin
dr_lepper on irc.freenode.org