[amarok] src/services/amazon: Detect Amazon country automatically.

Sven Krohlas sven at asbest-online.de
Fri Aug 17 15:45:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

Edward Hades wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 02:17:34AM +0200, Sven Krohlas wrote:
>> Before, the user had to explicitly share his location with Amarok
>> for any data to leave his network. Not Amarok does it automatically
>> on every startup without any warning.
>
> That's true, but the user did not know that.
>

>> I agree that the wording could be clearer here, but it's there:
>>
>> "The Amazon MP3 Store offers different items depending on your location. Please select the country
>> you are located in. Note that changing the country also invalidates your shopping cart. Countries
>> not in this list are not yet supported by the store, you can only buy items if you live in one of
>> the listed countries."
>
> It doesn't say "This data will be sent _immediately_ to Amazon. If you
> don't want that, select 'none'."
>
> So, basically, nothing changed there.

a lot changed. It's a serious regression and for me a hard release blocker.

As stated before that dialog could be clearer. But it clearly states,
that the store does not work if user does not live in a supported country.
Selecting the "none (store won't work)" therefore is the clear choice to
select if a user does not want to use the service.

I've had an interview about the store and they were deeply interested in
data protection issues. I assured that no data is being sent without
user consent. And I keep my word.

http://ikhaya.ubuntuusers.de/2012/06/22/interview-mit-den-entwicklern-der-amazon-api-fuer-amarok/

>> This is a basic policy for every application. You cannot send data
>> without user consent. This broke for Amarok as we changed services
>> to be initialized on startup.
>
> This shouldn't be fixed by cryptic dialogs that appear at the first
> startup. A direct question like
>
> "Would you like Amarok to contact {{servicename}}? This will send your
> current location, names of your children and your SSN to
> {{servicename}}, which can do whatever they want with it. But you really
> should do that, otherwise you won't be able to enjoy {{benefits}} of
> {{servicename}}."
>
> comes to mind. Preferably non-modal, and not directly at the first
> startup.

Don't take it personally, but if you don't revert I'm going to.
Data protection issues are a too high price to pay to get rid of
an annoying dialog. And I outlined the correct solution that should
make everyone happy in my first comment. There should be enough time
to implement it before 2.7.