[amarok] src/services/amazon: Detect Amazon country automatically.

Edward Hades edward.hades at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 08:35:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 02:17:34AM +0200, Sven Krohlas wrote:
> Before, the user had to explicitly share his location with Amarok
> for any data to leave his network. Not Amarok does it automatically
> on every startup without any warning.

That's true, but the user did not know that.

> I agree that the wording could be clearer here, but it's there:
>
> "The Amazon MP3 Store offers different items depending on your location. Please select the country
> you are located in. Note that changing the country also invalidates your shopping cart. Countries
> not in this list are not yet supported by the store, you can only buy items if you live in one of
> the listed countries."

It doesn't say "This data will be sent _immediately_ to Amazon. If you
don't want that, select 'none'."

So, basically, nothing changed there.

> This is a basic policy for every application. You cannot send data
> without user consent. This broke for Amarok as we changed services
> to be initialized on startup.

This shouldn't be fixed by cryptic dialogs that appear at the first
startup. A direct question like

"Would you like Amarok to contact {{servicename}}? This will send your
current location, names of your children and your SSN to
{{servicename}}, which can do whatever they want with it. But you really
should do that, otherwise you won't be able to enjoy {{benefits}} of
{{servicename}}."

comes to mind. Preferably non-modal, and not directly at the first
startup.

--
Edward "Hades" Toroshchin
dr_lepper on irc.freenode.org