[amarok] src/services/amazon: Detect Amazon country automatically.

Sven Krohlas sven at asbest-online.de
Wed Aug 15 00:17:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

Edward Hades wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 01:18:42AM +0200, Sven Krohlas wrote:
>> I'm very opposed to that solution, as now the plugin sends queries
>> to the service even without having an explicit users consent. Sending
>> data to a web service without the user knowing about it is a bad thing.
>
> First, the commit in question does not introduce the behavior you
> oppose.

sorry, but it does....

Before, the user had to explicitly share his location with Amarok
for any data to leave his network. Not Amarok does it automatically
on every startup without any warning.

I agree that the wording could be clearer here, but it's there:

"The Amazon MP3 Store offers different items depending on your location. Please select the country
you are located in. Note that changing the country also invalidates your shopping cart. Countries
not in this list are not yet supported by the store, you can only buy items if you live in one of
the listed countries."

> The dialog did not ask for user's consent, it just asked where
> she were. Now Amarok just takes a wildish guess.

It took a wildish guess before but did not use it before
being acked by the user.

> Second, if "not sending data to a web service without the user knowing"
> were to be made Amarok's policy, it should be applied everywhere, not
> just to Amazon's store. Currently, for example, Magnatune store
> downloads stuff without asking anyone.

This is a basic policy for every application. You cannot send data
without user consent. This broke for Amarok as we changed services
to be initialized on startup.

I might trust our music store providers (as I'm root on that machine...)
but I cannot expect strangers to do so, too.