Fingerprinting ... was Re: Thanks for MusicBrainz patch

Daniel Dewald Daniel.Dewald at time-shift.de
Mon Oct 4 21:43:20 CEST 2010

On Monday, 4. October 2010 20:17:23 Sergey Ivanov wrote:
> I tried to use phonon backend in decoding purpose. But I didn't find any
> way to make it play faster. Yes, I understand that It wasn't best choice
> to use ffmpeg due to getting unsupported formats, that can be played but
> can't be decoded. But I also didn't find any real alternatives. If we only
> discussing about decoding then I think It would be great to have the only
> decoder implementation and use It anywhere It needed. But in case of
> fingerprint system, the main reason (for me) to use libofa was Its
> algorithm, 'cos I can't get fingerprint with lastfm library (or any other
> ) and send It to musicdns service. I don't see any troubles to use
> different fingerprinting implementation, since each of them uses by
> different services, and all of them are different libraries, so they don't
> overload the Amarok code.

The Problem appears as soon as you don't consider the fingerprinting process
to be only usable or usefull for tagging purposes but store it in the database
to identify a song. Storing 2 different is a possibility but not clever. It
will confuse Users and Devs and they would have to decide for every feature
that uses fingerprints which fingerprint to use.

Greetz

Daniel