[UI] Current state of the lyrics applet

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Oct 3 14:50:11 CEST 2010

On So, 2010-10-03 at 14:27 +0200, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'm not sure if it's something that has to be changed in the applet or
> > in the ultimate lyrics script but there is currently an issue when using
> > ultimate lyrics:
> > Often the lyrics site with the highest priority doesn't have the lyrics
> > for a song.
> That sounds like an issue with the ultimate lyrics script. Maybe the site has
> changed (and the script has not been adopted to those changes yet)?

Ok, you can safely ignore it then ;)

> > Therefore I want to fetch the lyrics from the next site, so I click
> > re-fetch. Every time I have to confirm because I might have changed the
> > lyrics. This is really annoying because I often have to cycle through
> > sites to get the lyrics but have to confirm every time.
> > I should only have to confirm if I actually have edited the lyrics.
> Technically that's possible, but I'm not sure if the extra code is worth it.

If the issue is only relevant because of problems in ultimate lyrics,
it's probably better to get the author to fix the script instead of
investing time to find a workaround in the applet. But if other lyrics
scripts have the same problem, it might still be worth the time.

> > Another issue I experienced is that sometimes I get HTML code printed in
> > the applet instead of rendered. Again, I don't know if that's an
> > ultimate lyrics problem.
> That also sounds like an ultimate lyrics issue. The site has probably changed.

Ok. Ignore.

> > It works ;)
> > The colors finally work even in dark color schemes
> ACK for that. I'm using a dark color scheme myself - and it's been VERY hard
> to read until some time ago (when the dark color schemes were not working).
>
> > The ability to edit lyrics is generally pretty neat (though I personally
> > don't use it)
> > The ability to use any script to populate the applet should definitely
> > be kept as well.
> That's not part of the lyrics applet (it's part of the script engine) - thus a
> rewrite of the lyrics applet shouldn't touch this one.
>
> > Now seeing this I'm asking myself if it wouldn't mean less problems to
> > just open a dialog when lyrics are edited? Or maybe even just open the
> > edit tags dialog and switch to the lyrics tab? I know it's less nice
> > because the inline editing feel gets lost, but it might mean a lot less
> > trouble and would still provide a nice shortcut when the user notices
> > that the lyrics currently associated with the song are incorrect.
> It probably was a good idea to add the "[UI]" tag to the subject :)
> What do the usability experts say about this?

It definitely was a good idea to add the tag. The tag was what triggered
my interest in it in the first place.
Well I can tell you what one usability expert - the one who posted the
suggestion - would say about it ;) But I'm eager to hear what the others
have to say since it's certainly discussable.

> Regards,
> Martin

Regards,
Thomas