[UI] Current state of the lyrics applet

Martin darklight.xdarklight at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 3 14:27:35 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I'm not sure if it's something that has to be changed in the applet or
> in the ultimate lyrics script but there is currently an issue when using
> ultimate lyrics:
> Often the lyrics site with the highest priority doesn't have the lyrics
> for a song.
That sounds like an issue with the ultimate lyrics script. Maybe the site has
changed (and the script has not been adopted to those changes yet)?

> Therefore I want to fetch the lyrics from the next site, so I click
> re-fetch. Every time I have to confirm because I might have changed the
> lyrics. This is really annoying because I often have to cycle through
> sites to get the lyrics but have to confirm every time.
> I should only have to confirm if I actually have edited the lyrics.
Technically that's possible, but I'm not sure if the extra code is worth it.

> Another issue I experienced is that sometimes I get HTML code printed in
> the applet instead of rendered. Again, I don't know if that's an
> ultimate lyrics problem.
That also sounds like an ultimate lyrics issue. The site has probably changed.

> It works ;)
> The colors finally work even in dark color schemes
ACK for that. I'm using a dark color scheme myself - and it's been VERY hard
to read until some time ago (when the dark color schemes were not working).

> The ability to edit lyrics is generally pretty neat (though I personally
> don't use it)
> The ability to use any script to populate the applet should definitely
> be kept as well.
That's not part of the lyrics applet (it's part of the script engine) - thus a
rewrite of the lyrics applet shouldn't touch this one.

> Now seeing this I'm asking myself if it wouldn't mean less problems to
> just open a dialog when lyrics are edited? Or maybe even just open the
> edit tags dialog and switch to the lyrics tab? I know it's less nice
> because the inline editing feel gets lost, but it might mean a lot less
> trouble and would still provide a nice shortcut when the user notices
> that the lyrics currently associated with the song are incorrect.
It probably was a good idea to add the "[UI]" tag to the subject :)
What do the usability experts say about this?

Regards,
Martin