LikeBack in Amarok

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Thu Mar 11 21:10:04 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 21:01, Téo Mrnjavac <teo.mrnjavac at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> As you may have noticed, shortly after 2.3 was tagged I pushed a new
> feature into mainline: LikeBack integration.
> For an introduction to LikeBack, see [1].

Looks like good stuff :)

> Our admin Paleo has set up a LikeBack server instance on Kollide [2].
> As of now I still consider it very beta, and not in the Google meaning
> of the word, so I'm filling it with garbage reports for testing. After
> this phase I'll ask Paleo to nuke the DB so real use may begin.

As was already mentioned on IRC let's get this on a proper Amarok domain soon.

> Content submitted through LikeBack is viewable only by authorized
> users through the admin interface, and LikeBack is *not* a Bugzilla
> replacement, merely an addition.
> On the client side, LikeBack is enabled only for testing releases i.e.
> git builds and betas.
> I'm writing this to ask for some feedback:
> 1) LikeBack allows the user to send 4 types of notifications: like,
> dislike, improper behavior (bug) and feature request. Some of these
> types of feedback overlap with Bugzilla, especially improper behavior
> and (to a lesser extent) feature request. The way I see it, we can
> either
> a) just disable the improper behavior notification button
> b) make the improper behavior notification button open the usual b.k.o
> report dialog or embed it into the LikeBack dialog
> c) allow users to submit bug reports to LikeBack but hack some kind of
> LikeBack to b.k.o script that would send LikeBack bug reports to b.k.o
> server side.
> The last option seems like a lot of work and I fear that the quality
> of the bug reports might suffer, because LikeBack might make it too
> easy to submit a proper bug report (for example there's no dupe
> checking), so I'd choose either a or b. Requesting comments on this.
> Either way, I believe that if we don't want bug reports to be in more
> than one place, we don't want bug reports in LikeBack, only feedback
> of the type like/dislike/idea.

I'd recommend going with b.

> 2) LikeBack could be enabled for final releases too, but in this case
> I'd recommend disabling the report buttons in the top right corner of
> every window by default. Requesting comments on this too.

Don't have a too strong opinion on this but I'm leaning towards only
doing it for devel versions - at least for now until we see how it
works out.

> 3) I've noticed that the original LikeBack code had some spelling
> errors, I have fixed them but there might be more, so I'd like to ask
> a native English speaker to please verify the text of the LikeBack
> dialogs.
> 4) LikeBack allows to specify in the dialog which languages are
> allowed. Do we want to allow languages other than English?

Leaning towards only accepting English here.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher