Debugging on gentoo with QtCreator

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Thu Aug 19 18:23:58 CEST 2010

lfranchi: lolOn Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Marius
<rara at quantentunnel.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to debug amarok on gentoo with QtCreator 1.3. In general it works,
> i.e. I can set breakpoints etc. I have problems though when amarok crashes
> inside a Qt function. gdb then shows the function name, but can't find the
> source code, so I only get the disassambled code, which is of no use.
> Additionally, the asserts in Qt are disabled by default on gentoo. Is it
> possible to use a local Qt installation with asserts enabled, to get useful
> backtraces in QtCreator?
>
> Additionally, gdb is sometimes incredibly slow when debugging amarok. In
> numbers: it often needs more than half a minute with 100% cpu to do one
> debugging step. Sometimes gdb even crashes. Do you have similar problems?

I've not had much trouble debugging amarok with gdb. However, my setup
is with a hand-compiled qt/kde with debug symbols and i use "cgdb" as
my debugging frontend (curses debugger, basically gdb command line +
split view of current source code location). it's super fast and with
qtcreator's debugging helpers, i can print out native qt data types :)

leo